Home AboutMe Crafts Food

Friday, May 13, 2011

Wooden Cross Redo & a Spray Painting Tip

I bought this gorgeous handmade wooden and metal cross last year at an arts and crafts festival. At 6:00 am in the morning under very dim light, the color on it looked like a perfect match for my bedroom. Unfortunately when I got home the color just wasn't right...but I didn't know for sure what I wanted to do about it. Last month when I decided to start redecorating my master bedroom {remember I added black, white, and red into my turquoise room}, I knew the the best solution for the cross was a coat of red spray paint.
 After I spent more than a few minutes trying to cover the white cross with painters tape, my genuis husband shared with  me that he thought the pieces would all come apart. And they did! So I pulled off all the painters tape and got ready to spray paint just the blue cross!
 Now the only problem was the metal nail heads on the blue cross, which I definetly didn't want to paint over. Again Jason came to the rescue with an idea. Apparently you can cover anything metal with Vaseline before you spray paint and that will prevent the spray paint from getting on it...and to remove it all you do is wipe it off after the paint has dried! Genius idea right!?!
 So I used a Q-tip and carefully applied Vaseline to all the nail heads being careful not to get it on the cross.
 I sprayed the cross down with a liberal coat of Krylon Cherry Red spray paint. Check out how the paint just sat on top of the Vaseline coated nail heads!
 After the paint dried for about 30 minutes I simply used a paper towel and wiped the now red Vaseline off of the nail heads. Seriously check out how well that little spray paint tip worked!
 Here is how the {reassembled} newly painted cross looks against the turquoise walls in my bedroom...not too bad! Now I just have to decide exactly where I want to hang it:)
I have another fun spray paint project that I am sharing as a guest post next week too!
Have you done any spray painting lately?!?
Pin It!

18 comments:

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

I'm partial to red but it really is gorgeous! I love the "layers".

Anonymous said...

This is GREAT! Love it!!!

Foursons said...

Your husband is a genius! It looks great.

Carrie said...

It looks so good! What a neat trick! It will look great in your room!

Unknown said...

VERY Cool! great post on this. I am a folk artist..I found you through Kelly at "Till Death Do Us Part " blog Im going to be a follower please check my blog out sometime! :)
Kat Griffin

Jen @ EmbellishingLifeEveryday said...

Good tip! Vaseline - Who knew?! :) I'm sure I'll be using this trick soon!

CM said...

What a before and after! Good job, it looks great.

Michelle Paige said...

Great tip, who would have thought to use Vaseline? I found you through Tatertots & Jello. Sweet blog!

Jolene said...

Great job and wonderful tip! I will definitely have to remember that one. Thanks for sharing!

LBB said...

Great tip! I've never tried that:)

Also, your the winner of my giveaway!! Please email me your address & I'll ship it out :D

More Than Words said...

Wow, that looks beautiful!! And yes..great tip! I never knew!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Kelli - Fantastic Makeover - I adore the new colors. Thanks for sharing - Hope you had a wonderful weekend!
~Stephanie Lynn
www.bystephanielynn.com

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

That turned out really pretty!

Amy @ Positively Splendid said...

Fantastic makeover, and that Vaseline idea is pure genius!

Anonymous said...

That's lovely!

I like the metal cross, but the layering really makes it pop!

Janet said...

This looks SO SO COOL!!! I LOVE IT!!! :)

www.iheartmygluegun.com

HuNnY aNd PoPpA LeWiS said...

Your cross turned out great! I love the Vaseline tip--thanks for sharing.

marissa | Rae Gun Ramblings said...

what a cool trick this is definitely going to come in handy!

ps I shared your nutter fluffer idea on my blog today, I can't wait to try it http://raegunwear.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...