Home AboutMe Crafts Food

Monday, April 18, 2011

Adding a Little Spring

I have a love of pretty placemats...but the funny thing is there actually aren't any placemats on the tables in my house. Instead we have placemats on our couch, and now we have placemats on our porch and in our yard!
I saw these really pretty placemats a Target a few weeks ago and knew that they were just the pop of spring color that I was missing in my front yard. I picked up three of them at $2.99 each, and for less than $10 I created a new garden flag and covered two outdoor pillows.  Let me start by saying that these were a little more heavy duty than the placemats I have bought previously, so I have a feeling they were made for outdoor use...and so far so good. 
 To make the garden flag, all I did was fold over one of the short ends of the placemat and sew in place making a loop to hang the flag. I didn't add any embellishment to the flag because I love the pattern of the placemat, but you could easily sew or glue on an initial or monogram.
 I also covered my outdoor pillows that sadly still had the black and orange covers on them from fall!
 To cover the pillows, I simply used my seam ripper to take out the seam from on of the short sides of the placemat. Then I slipped the placemat over the pillow and folded down the extra fabric.
I think these were just the thing my front yard needed to get ready for spring!
Pin It!

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh so pretty. I need to do some spring decorating, so drab around here

Unknown said...

Love it, great color and pattern. Perfect for spring. winks-jen

Anonymous said...

Very cute!!

Jill@Barnes Yard said...

Super cute and so spring-y!

Kmama said...

Such cute place mats, and you're right, what fun spring color!

Angie said...

What a cute idea...I love having seasonal garden flags. I have a pole in the front and back yards and this idea makes it affordable for me to do seasonal in the front and back. Now I just need to go shop for placemats!

At Home With Michelle said...

I love it! What a great job, and thrifty idea too. I love your blog, and all the ideas you share:)

staci @ lizard n ladybug said...

Love the garden flag..and the pillows turned out perfectly!

Unknown said...

Ohmy! What a super cute idea!!! Girl, you are so creative!! Keep it up!

Joanna said...

Those are just gorgeous and I LOVE that color and print!

Carrie said...

Gorgeous! I'm always looking for fun garden flags... now I know where to look! I love that blue and the pattern! Brilliant! ;-)

LBB said...

Such a cute idea! I have used them for outdoor pillows too, but never thought of making a cute flag!! :)

Dee said...

I think it looks fantastic Kelli! Will you come over and give my house a little "spring"? :)

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Love that garden flag, Kelli! :) The pillows are great too! I've been meaning to make a garden flag...I have one of those teeny teeny tiny ones...the kind that they ONLY sell the flag and the holder-never just the flag. I want to make my own rather than continuing to be the flags along with the stakes. :s

Kelli said...

Your home is always so festive and so welcoming...I love it. I love the color too :)

Myya said...

Cute! Love how your mind works, you see so many ideas when you look at soemthing. That blue is so pretty!!

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

I love the color!!!

Jen @ EmbellishingLifeEveryday said...

Beautiful! I'm loving that color lately!

Darcie said...

What a pretty pop of robin egg blue to make us all excited for spring! Now if spring would just show up. ;-)

carissa said...

once again you're a genius!!! nice work lady. you're the best!

Tracy said...

Love the flag idea! We've had so much wind and storms the last few months that I've lost a couple of my flags so I'm looking forward to replacing them now!

Kathie said...

I love the small flag idea!!! :-) I will have to make one.

Katie @ OhhBaby said...

I have been eyeing those! I LOVE the flag idea! i wanted to make one and put our monogram on it for a long time. now I feel like I should! Thanks so much for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I love love love the fabric! they turned out so cute.

Jennifer said...

You have seriously read my mind! I was just thinking last night while painting a wicker chair for my front porch that I need to make a flag and matching pillow for it. Yours turned out lovely! The color is so bright and pretty!
Jen
Scissors & Spatulas

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...